Don’t fool yourself that you can manage.
Getting support makes you stronger and I only wish that as a family unit, we had been better prepared and open to support a lot earlier.
Some ways to get help
- Share your situation with close friends
- And your family, wider circle
- Connect with Dementia Australia and attend workshops on the disease for education and skills
- Meet up with a local support group of carers
- See a therapist
- Stay fit, eat healthy and prioritise sleep
- Tell your work and manager
- If you have employee assistance program, then call them and set it up
- Read articles, books, movies, documentaries and soak up knowledge
- Reach out your circle to get your mind off it and make time for yourself
- Plan and take breaks. See if you can get people to sit with him/her (patient) while you go get your hair done or lunch with a friend (out). Take time for yourself like morning and afternoon walks.
- Explore in-home care services that can help with getting the groceries or light house work and provide some light relieft and company during the week. For example https://www.justbettercare.com/services/aged-care
Did you receive help? What did you find easy and a challenge? Why’s it so important to get help?